Sausage Balls in Cheese Pastry
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Source: Recipe card from Genie Honerkamp
Makes about 4 dozen.
- 1 pound mile or hot bulk pork sausage
- 3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- Combine first 5 ingredients, mixing well.
- Shape into 1-inch balls.
- Cook over low heat until done, turning to brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels.
- Combine flour, salt, paprika, and cheese.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender (the mixture will be dry).
- Mix with hands until dough is smooth.
- Shape 1 tablespoon of dough around each sausage ball, covering sausage completely.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes.
After pastry has been shaped around sausage balls, they may be frozen. To serve, thaw and bake.